Sunday, March 8, 2009

Girl Gamer Question

Hi, my name is Smirking Revenge and I am a gamer. To further my girly geek cred I am not just talking first person shooters on my gaming consoles (though anything with zombies is of course tops). I like RPGs. Tabletop, LARPing, or Play by Email. Strangely I never got into the MMORPGs thing like Warcraft though I do have a shirt that says I fight like a girl. And if they ever do get a Firefly/Serenity verse one going I am so there.

I’ve been roleplaying in one form or another since high school. World of Darkness made my urban fantasy/horror geek a happy camper though I spent most of my time in the Vampire: The Masquerade and Changeling worlds. During University my sister and I, along with a couple of girlfriends had some interesting misadventures with D&D that continued with another set of people later on. I tried my hand at some games with my brother in law, some proving more successful than others. And for the past decade I have been in or ran a play by email campaign.

For the past six years I have been running an urban fantasy campaign called Permanent Midnight. It was my first time as a GM/Moderator. During its run I met some great players, had a blast creating a verse full of vampires, shapeshifters, and faeries oh my, and found it incredibly entertaining and cathartic writing my characters stories. But lately my creative muse apparently took a trip to Azerbijan leaving me with a severe case or writer’s block. Couple that with some mod mistakes and perhaps just a game that has lasted far longer than most pbems and I was looking for something to bring that spark back.

Then I found it. In the form of a little pbem called the Artemis, but it wasn’t meant to be and the game didn’t last long. However, that new alter ego wouldn’t stay quiet. My character had a story to tell. I’d had more fun with Artemis than I’d had in a while and wrote some of the best posts I had ever done in any pbem. So I decided I needed to go back to that verse and for the second time I am GMing a game.

It’s called Battlestar Astraea and yes it is set in the BSG verse which should be of little surprise. I think I like this setting because its not about magic or powers. It’s about people. Its about what it means to be human, how to survive when everything you know is taken from you and so much more. In other words, great writing. Except that I have a bit of a problem and if there are any of you out there that have been around the Pbem circles, where do you advertise.

I have a great small set of people who are playing, but I need more. There are a couple of yahoo RPG advert places that I have advertised the site on, but is there anyplace that you all know of that is a great place to advertise RPGs? My game isn’t even set to begin until mid March that way I can at least have a skeleton crew cast. Any ideas would be most welcome.

1 comment:

  1. It's been several years since I've roleplayed anything [without my wife anyway] ;-) though I loved Vampire: The Masqurade [and of course D&D]

    I never did play any pbem games, sounds interesting, though unfortunately I know that I will not have the time to play any [the kids keep me busy, busy!]

    ReplyDelete