Saturday, January 10, 2009

209 in 2009 - A Year In Film

I love going to and watching movies more than anything else. The best part about them is they not only entertain, but they can move you and even make you think. Some make you smile and laugh while others make you cry. Some work on a psychological level or are an emotional experience. Then again sometimes they are a treat for the senses and purely a visual and audio experience.

I am a fan of a lot of genres, though admittedly am more of a blood and guts kind of gal. Action movies are a joy, zombies make everything better and even movies like Ice Pirates have some sort of merit for me. I like good movies, even some bad ones and am known to quote from film incessantly. It annoys me when I recognize an actor, but can’t place them (thank Brighid for imdb) and have been known, on occasion to yell at the TV screen when I am watching films at home. I laugh, I cry and I want to be characters and envy the actors who have got to play my favorite ones. I jump, I mock, have my zombie escape plan in place and vow never to play games like ‘1,2,3 knock on the wall’ just in case ghosts might be involved.

My netflix queue is never-ending. I love to tell everyone about films and I love to mock the ones I found eye rolling bad. Going to the theatre delights me to no end especially when the trailers begin to roll (the best part). I sit in the middle, middle and if you see a movie with me you’ll probably be sitting to my left. I am the girl who will go see that blockbuster on opening night just for the thrill of the audience and have been known to dress for the occasion (such as the homemade Serenity t-shirts or wearing a bathrobe and bringing a towel to Hitchhiker’s Guide).

I excel at movie quizzes and games like Scene-it. I am willing to try anything once (okay so maybe not Meet the Spartans, a girl has to have her limits) and have only walked out of a movie once (Last Action Hero). I am a cinephile through and through and couldn’t be more proud of it.

This year I have vowed to watch 209 in 2009 which isn’t too daunting. I am going to try to write about each (though no long essays), vow to watch more films outside of the genres I tend to watch, and am curious to see how much of my yearly minutes are devoted to watching the flicks I love so much.

So here is to 2009. Feel free to join me, rant if you must or happily nod your head. If you have a blog of your own, let me know and I will add you.

Cheers.

Start/End Date Date: Jan 1, 2009 – Dec 31st, 2009
Number of Films:
Total Hours Watched: 16
Last Updated: January 16th

Rating Scale:
4 Popcorns = A worthy addition to any film collection. Loved it. See it theatres if you can. Maybe even more than once.
3 Popcorns = Please go see or rent. Liked it.
2 Popcorns = More flaws, than merits. Wait for HBO or TBS. It was okay.
1 Popcorn = Not Worth Watching. Not even on HBO or TBS. It was horrible. Stay away. Far, far away.
Italics denotes favorite

THE FILMS:
16. Rogue
15. Nomad
14. Persepolis
13. Unborn [theatre]
12. Planet B-Boy
11. The Other Boleyn Girl
10. Hancock
9. Funny Games
8. 1408
7. The Golden Compass
6. Artic Tale
5. The Ruins
4. Curious Case of Benjamin Button [theatre]
3. Charlie Bartlett
2. Death Defying Acts
1. The Day the Earth Stood Still [theatre]

1 comment:

  1. Sounds cool! I'm a big zombie/gore fan too, I wrote a zombie short story and made it as violent and gory as possible. I believe a zombie story shouldn't have any kind of "message" (like Romero), it should be straight and to the point which I did. In mine, there is no hope. Nobody survives. The zombies are stupid but do what it takes to eat humans. I love it:)

    ReplyDelete